Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Learning To Read - Again

I've been reading Isaiah in the morning. Not a lot, maybe 4 or 5 chapters at a time, but here's what amazes me. I enjoy it! Yes, I've read it many times in the past and even taught it and preached from parts of it, but honestly - it has always been an uncomfortable chore. I guess it made me feel better about not studying Ezekiel very often. I never enjoyed reading about God's anger and poor Isaiah having to do all kinds of weird things get those folks to wake up. It's all still there, but now I see God's patience and his providential work as He carried out His plan to redeem the world. I see - and understand - His holiness being revealed.
You see, I always thought that reading the Bible was what good Christians did! I wanted to be a good Christian - so I read! When I read just to be reading, I rarely enjoyed it, revelled in it, or sat in awe of it. In sermon prep I cheered when I discovered things - things I could preach and help others understand, but just reading...for the sake of reading? Tough! Burdensome. Increasing knowledge but not love - helping to puff up and not always build up? Ouch. Reading God's Word is not just something we do to become better - more righteous, Christians! There is only one way that reading the Bible truly becomes a feeding frenzy and that's when we've truthfully answered the most important question in all out life. How can I know God better? If our heart is seeking God, his message is exciting, joyful, and amazingly simple! Without the seeking - prayer, study, attendance, and good deeds become works of self-righteousness to impress others not God. But when it's all about wanting a deeper relationship with the Father, you hang on every word, you see His unchanging character, and you are overwhelmed by his never ending love for unholy man. It's the difference between reading a historical document from a total stranger and reading a love letter from Dad.
When I read Isaiah I'm looking for God and I see a different book than I used to see. I see a Holy Father who desperately loves his unholy children. How can you not want to know some ONE like that?

No comments: