Saturday, July 21, 2007

Retreat to fight another day!

"Wild Hogs?"
We are on the attack again. I guess that's what one should say after returning from a "Retreat". We were with some very dear friends and wonderful children of God in Paris, TN this past week and it is always one of the high-points of our year. I wish I could play a recording of some of the singing we enjoyed there. It's not THAT different from the kind we get to enjoy every week at Florissant, but the passion is so strong and the joy is so real - and uninhibited - that it's truly like a cold drink of water that refreshes you to the soul. There are a lot of folks we feel blessed to know and renew our love with there each year, but this year I found myself really thinking about how interesting it is that I have been "somewhat reunited" with two great brothers who are very much responsible for my career as a minister of the Gospel. Sam Kitchings was the preacher at the Dasher Church of Christ, just across the street from Georgia Christian School, where I lived and attended from '64 until graduating HS in '70. Sam was my Bible teach at GCS - every day - for my last three years of school. He was a tremendous influence on me, taught me stuff I still use today, and mostly - encouraged me to use my talents in service to God. Once I got to Harding University, at least during my second year there, Jerry Jones came back from doctoral work, to resume teaching in the Bible Dept. and soon, to be it's head. I was in his first preaching classes, which didn't exist until he started them. As a teacher, he taught me the value of expository preaching - literally preaching through revealing scripture in context - and formed my preaching for the rest of my life. He inspired and guided me - and I think threatened a couple times - to have a deep passion for sharing God's message through this beautiful act call preaching. I've never lost that passion, but built on it through the years. We stayed in touch every now and then, but he was there during our worst days in TN, when I couldn't understand why or how we could be so hurt when we were trying so hard to serve God. He was there! Then he was very responsible for making sure that Florissant knew about us and we knew about them.

Well, these two guys are best of friends! Attended Harding together and have stayed close through the years! I never knew that until I went to this retreat four years ago. And among their less memorable shared efforts was molding a kid from Southeast Washington, D.C. into a gospel preacher. I'm so thankful for them both. Even though we've spent most of the last thirty-plus years passing one another only occasionally, I know they are among the many I will always be indebted to. I am what I am and where I am by the grace of God, but part of that grace was manifested in godly people like Sam and Jerry whom he placed in my life. It's good to be reminded that none of else "did it on our own."

Thank you Father for the people you put in our lives to guide us, push us, and show us how to walk with you. You're not only patient and loving - but you have a huge staff of servants to carry out your will. Help me not to forget my assignment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Mike and Donna. It appears that yall were in our neck of the woods this past week. We have relatives in Paris and we go down there at least once a month. We always go to Paris Landing, which I think is one of the most beautiful spots on this earth.
We love you both. Inez

Hey, I knew that someday you would make it to "God's country." Now you see where we are considering retiring someday. I am guessing that you may have stayed at the State Park Inn. I hope you had the chance to enjoy a cup of coffee and watch the sunrise over the river and see the wild turkeys walk around, the deer run across the river bank and the bald eagles flying over from their nest on Buchanan island. Those are some of the things I have seen this year while playing golf at the State Park golf course.
We love you both and glad ro read your Henry Co., TN trip was so positive nd rewarding!
Curt