Friday, July 27, 2007

Top Ten False Teachings


When passages of scripture go from being used as proof-texts to being true messages from God, you see them differently. Much of my early Biblical training was based on defending the truth (i.e. our version of orthodoxy) and had it's foundation in fear, paranoia, and exclusivism. When I started asking myself, "What are the spiritual principles that God wants me to glean from this?", I discovered a whole new message. When you stop looking for those mysterious patterns, those jigsaw puzzles that God hid throughout the sixty-six books, you start seeing a God who is seeking a relationship with us not a God who sends us on a spiritual treasure hunt.

I say all that to simply point out that his TOP TEN list of passages I taught incorrectly in the past are just the ones that jumped into my head first. The list is much longer. Praise God for his patience, kindness, and mercy. So - here they are with brief explanations. If you don't know these verses for memory you could be disfellowshipped - or made the new deacon of Adult Education at your church.

1. John 9:31 This is an uninspired speaker and YES - God does hear the prayers of sinners!

2. Eph.5:19 (or Col.3:16) This is not church or even the Christian assembly, and certainly NOT one of the five "acts of worship". If it points to something invisible being wrong - then it's wrong all the time, anywhere!

3. Acts 20:7 A simple verse about Christians getting together for a fellowship meal with Paul is not the "hallmark" verse for "going to church," Sunday being the "Lord's day," or for the Lord's Supper being a Sunday sacrament.

4. 1 Thess.5:19 I didn't mean to put the Spirit's fire out.

5. John 4:24 This does not mean that what we do on Sunday morning is "Correct" so we MUST be worshipping God in Spirit and in truth. Jesus' whole point that was that worship would NO LONGER be defined by a place and time (i.e. Temple worship or church worship).

6. 1 Cor.14:33-35 This has nothing to do with "the role" of women in the church and everything to do with "let everything be done to edify".

7. 1 Cor.14:40 With all the crazy stuff happening there with prophesy and tongues - shame on those of us who used this to justify fighting anything new or any changes at all.

8. Eph.3:10 We can't even discuss what the "church" is supposed to do anymore because we've institutionalized it to the point that there is no more personal responsibility. If "The Church" doesn't organize a program or ministry to "make it happen" the failure is "The Church" not me. I am THE CHURCH! I will answer for ME not the family I meet with several times a week.

9. 1 John 4: 12 We don't meet God on Sunday morning! We see him, know him, and have him in us ONLY to the extent that we love one another! Satan says it's optional - we believe him, and make growing in love an extra-curricular church activity!

10. Matt. 18:20 PLEASE don't use this passage to teach that Jesus is present when 2 or 3 meet together in his name! ("If you miss Sunday church you miss a chance to be with Jesus!") That violates the indwelling of Christ and his promise to be with us! The context is totally the idea that if we resolve relationship problems his way - he's with us! Maybe that's why we so rarely resolve problems his way. We have Him going to church instead of leading us to do what's right!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bro:
NICE!
Kev

Anonymous said...

Mike...you are SO on target here! I enjoy reading your blog and catching your lessons when I can. My best to you and Donna and I shall be praying for her father. A belated happy birthday to you too! I hit 55 the day before you hit 56...or maybe they hit us!
Take care. Stella Floyd

Anonymous said...

Hey Bro., AMEN! Thank you for this first top ten. Do I see more coming? Where the heart is determines what the eyes see!

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike,

Thanks for posting this and "coming clean" about your mistakes. A preacher who will admit his mistakes...what a concept! I cannot tell you how many discussions I have had arguing the point you just made on John 9:31 with various brothers and sisters. Keep it up.