Sunday, July 08, 2007

Pondering Parenting

It's still kinda strange watching your children be parents. I know we were good parents. I've kicked myself too many times about the first year or so that I was a Police Chaplain, back in Fairfax, VA, because it did take me away from our three children a couple nights a week - and while it (Police Chaplain) was filled with life memories that still amaze me, it wasn't worth missing out on even a few hours of my kids. There wasn't too many things that happened in their lives that I missed those months, but it's just the fact that you can't get them back. One chance is all you get, and molding those lives is the most important thing a parent will ever do. I have wonderful memories of being a parent. Of course, it helped to have the worlds best mom as my partner - Miss "I've never met a child who didn't think I was cooler than air" Donna. And what a blessing that is! Still, in spite of my self-slapping, I was there. I didn't miss many nights of singing and praying with my kids. Memories of bedtime Q&A competition with all three curled up against me as I came up with Bible story questions to throw at them, or four of us crammed in the rocking chair singing VBS songs. Yes, Donna was an incredible mom, and I was a pretty good dad, who got even better as they got older. But now, as I watch Deborah and Pat, and Elizabeth and Chad, as parents, I'm amazed at what fantastic parents they are. They are committed parents, smothering their children with love, but giving clear direction, values, and focus on God. I admire their patience and calmness in allowing kids to be kids, and not losing sight of the important things in life. I am so thankful for their faith in God that I see being passed on to their children. Just like we did, but better. I guess that's the way it's supposed to be, because tomorrow, they'll be the ones watching their children be parents. Maybe the ripple-effect of parenting is a lot more important than we think.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Dad, you made me cry! Thanks for your kind words. We are definitely the blessed ones that got you and Mom as parents! Mom is so "cooler than air" in this house, that's for sure! Love you, Dad.

Deborah said...

It's easy to doubt that our parenting is any good, until reinforcement like this comes along--thank you!