Friday, July 13, 2007

Top Ten Discoveries


I thought it would be fun to think about the Top Ten Spiritual discoveries I've made since becoming a Christian back in 1965. Just looking at that sentence makes me cringe a little. "I've discovered?" Hmmm? Maybe God had a lot to do with those "discoveries". I am humbled when I think of how he as led me, guided me, and mostly been patient and forgiving to me. Anyway - here they are. I throw them forth with full knowledge that most are not earth-shaking, the list (especially one with ten points) would be different tomorrow or yesterday, and to some folks - they sound heretical. These are biblical principles that anyone who knows there Bible at all can see - discover - or prove, if that's what pushes your button. Feel free to take issue with any. All complaints should be made to 1-800-Holy-Spirit.

1. The patience and loving kindness of God. I've always known it in theory, but it did not impact me until I realized how much I've needed it through the years. God is good!

2. It must not be an empty cliche' - a relationship with God is really what it's all about, and it's what He has always wanted. We must pursue Him like any other relationship!

3. Life is all about who you love and who loves you back. The rest is a distraction.

4. Prayer is the single most important element in building faith, and therefore, a relationship with God. It's not one of the things (i.e. acts of worship) it's THE thing - communication! There is NO relationship without communication, whether it's spouses, friends, brothers, or God!

5. Grace! The ultimate description of God's love and God's providence.

6. Seeking! The single most important thing God is looking for in our hearts. Grace is about direction nor perfection! (one of the most consistent themes in all the Bible)

7. Church is not an institution, but a tool to help us love one another and build relationships with one another and God! The temple paradigm has destroyed God's paradigm of home & family.

8. The New Testament Christians never met to worship. Worship is pleasing God with your heart and your life. Our altar is 24/7!

9. The single most important element in consistent godly living is being aware of the presence of God. Nothing does that better than an open prayer life (which is building a relationship with God).

10. Nothing builds an open prayer life like thankfulness. We can rise no higher spiritually than our level of thankfulness. Have you ever considered the connection between thankfulness and thoughtfulness?


I have about fifty more, so this really isn't the Top Ten, but they have been life changing for me. Just try to be around me for very long and not hear me say something about at least one of the above. The biggest thing that concerns me is wondering how many things I've missed! Oh well, they can't be as incredible as grace. God is good!

No comments: