Monday, July 16, 2007

The Ultimate?

The ultimate hunting stand - or is it really hunting? I've had these pictures, and others like them, sent to me several times. Looks like a great vacation spot, and yes, a luxury gun stand, but to a bowhunter it has no relevance at all. Still, a neat idea.
Last night we got to enjoy some testimonies from our teens and sponsors who just got back from their Trek to Colorado. We prayed for them to have a "peak experience" with God, and they did. It was so thrilling to hear their stories of hard lessons learned and hard hearts softened. Like the ultimate hunting stand, it was the ultimate spiritual experience for them. It brought back memories of the feelings I had as a teenager after attending a wonderful retreat, seminar or short mission trip. I remember feeling "so high" spiritually, and being so worried that it wouldn't last - and it never did. Oh it was an integral part of my spiritual maturing process, but I still clearly remember the frustration of how shallow it was and mostly - how temporary it became. I wish I had known that a walk with God isn't just about peak or ultimate experiences - as great as they are, but it's about doing the day to day, even hour to hour things that build a relationship. Because that's what this faith thing is all about! It's drawing closer to God, feeling his presence, knowing he's as real as your spouse, parents, and friends. An "experience" is only beneficial for the long term if it encourages the on-going prayer life, study, meditation, and fellowship that contributes to a relationship. "Zeal without knowledge" isn't enough, and knowledge "without love" is worthless. I guess the simple lesson I'm making is that an ultimate stand doesn't make someone a hunter and the ultimate spiritual experience doesn't make a person walk closer to God. It's a great tool that can do a great service, but it can't take the place of a growing and loving relationship.

No comments: