Monday, October 06, 2008

Wild & Wonderful West Virginia

( Rehearsal on Friday evening)
I don't like being gone from my church family - period! I say that, but I feel like people don't really understand how MUCH I mean it. For the last fifteen years, I've had four Sunday's of vacation time and three Sunday's of speaking engagements - to be gone each year - as part of my agreement with my elders. I average being gone about 2 to 3 Sunday's a year. If it's not a chance to be with family or to go on a special hunt, I don't want to be away from my church family, because I love them and I love what I do. It's not my job it's my life. So - that having been said, when my niece, Megan Haugh called us and asked us if Donna could make her wedding cake and I could perform her wedding - we quickly said yes because she's family and "ya just have to take care of family." We are so proud of Megan and so thrilled that she found such a great guy like Zack -it made the decision a no-brainer!
It was a beautiful wedding in a beautiful place. It was at Deer Park Lodge in Buckhannon, WV about an hour plus south of Fairmont. The weather was perfect and the fall colors were just starting to touch the trees. We had a wonderful time being a part of the whole thing, and we wish them both God's blessings.
This is the point when they get to kiss for the first time as husband and wife. Somehow I don't think it was the first kiss.

This is the cake that Donna made. It's very different and unlike anything she'd ever been asked to make, but it turned out great. It's what Megan wanted and she was very pleased with it. I know that Donna had a hard time getting the brown the right shade of color. I didn't get to enjoy a piece of it because we left before they cut the cake - which they were doing at the end of dinner and other things. We wanted to get a few hours down the road on Saturday evening so that Sunday wouldn't be the full eleven hour trip. We left a little after 3:00 and got to Moorehead, Kentucky at about 7:00 and stopped for the night.
The best part of the trip was getting to see so many family and friends. The Haugh family has always had a special place in our heart. We've loved them and been close to them ever since Kathy (Donna's sister) married Kevin three decades ago (maybe longer). There have been holiday's, hunts, weddings, funerals, vacations, and loads of great memories. We are very happy that we could be a small part of the beginning of Megan and Zack's life together.
So now the only big question is how long is it gonna take to turn Zack into a bowhunter?


1 comment:

Terri said...

I visited your site from "Shaw's Stories" and was surprised to recognize a name on your wedding post. Kevin and I were at OVC together for 1 year (I was the older and a year ahead of him.) What a small world!