Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I WANT IT ALL!

Last week I was reading through the book of Acts and I read a verse that I've read hundreds of times before - but this time it intrigued me, amazed me, and caused me to reflect on it for days. I mentioned it in my Wednesday night Bible class on 1 Corinthians and referred to it in the conclusion of my Sunday morning sermon. I still can't get it out of my head. Acts 4:32 is so familiar, I can usually quote it because I use it so much. "All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they shared everything they had." As incredible as that is with all it's love, unity, unselfishness, and focus on relationships, it's the next verse that has been rolling around in my heart for over a week. "With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and much grace was upon them all." (vs.33)
There is a volume of stuff to think about just with the idea of testifying to the resurrection of Jesus. That's real witnessing! That's real sharing of the gospel - not correcting those who have a "worship style" doctrine that doesn't match ours! But again, the thing that intrigues me the most is that final phrase "and much grace was upon them all." What does that mean? Are there degrees of grace? How do people act who have "much grace" on them? Is there such a thing as too much grace? Are we missing out on something God wants us to have?
Here's what I think. The "much grace" that "was upon them all" is the joy and peace that comes from being fulling in tune with God. As I told my church family Sunday, they "got it." When you "get it" - understand what God wants and are seeking a deeper relationship with him - and when you sense his presence, his help, his strength, and trust his promise - YOU FEEL HIS GRACE LIKE NEVER BEFORE AND YOU CAN'T HELP BUT GIVE IT AWAY TO OTHERS!
I want it! I want his church to feel that! I want to see what happens when a family of God is awash in his grace, overwhelmed by his love, and driven to love one another in such a way that everyone will know that we are His disciples. Witnessing becomes explaining! Commitment becomes a way of life! Fear is replaced by love!
Can you imagine what would happen to a church where "much grace was upon them all"?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks....I needed that. Sometimes it is hard not to be judgemental to those who are judgemental toward you and try to rob you of Grace.... I have tried to let go of that and as you said--it gives me a sense of joy and peace.. God is good ...all the time.. His grace is sufficient. SH