Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Simple But Deep?

Simple but deep. How many things can be described that way? Childlike devotion? A clear, still, lake? A pithy saying? Maybe some other things fit the bill, if not literally, at least figuratively, but nothing fits it like the Word of God. When I was younger it overwhelmed me with it's information, puzzled me with it's symbolism, and frightened me with it's wondrous and eternal principles. It's been the Law, the weapon, the rod, the jigsaw puzzle, the bed time story, the proof, the resource material, the key to the executive wash room, the defense, the accuser, the crown, the smack down, the sip, the gulp, the feast, the workout, the spiritless, the Spirit led, the builder, the humbler, the light, the life, the voice of God, and finally the love letter. Through all that - it never changed - only I did. When I stopped looking for support for my doctrines and started looking for Jesus. It became a new book. When I quit piecing together passages and started listening to God's love, it became a new book. When I gave up seeking patterns and began seeking a relationship with God, it became a new book. Nothing improves your appreciation for the Bible like learning to love God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength.
Now I see things that I never noticed before. Like how often the Bible talks about being thankful, and how much it challenges us to seek Him, and how His grace permeates every passage. When you're looking for what His Spirit is trying to say to you instead of pulling things out of context to back up your preconceived theology - it's the most simple, but deep book every to exist. When you think about it, is there anything that is MORE simple or MORE deep than love? The Word is the greatest love book ever read by man.
Isn't God good?

1 comment:

Deborah said...

I just did a new blog entry, then read your latest post. I cannot believe how applicable it is to what I just wrote!! Must mean something...

:)