Friday, July 04, 2008

Back from Vacation

We got back from our Alaska cruise Tuesday morning at about 7::30. Yes, it was an over night flight from Anchorage, via Detroit, to St. Louis, and yes, we both stayed awake the whole time. I never have been able to sleep on a plane. So between catching up on sleep and work, I haven't been able to do any blogging until this 4th of July morning. So HAPPY 4th!
We got to share part of the trip with Kevin & Kathy (Kathy is Donna's sister, brother-in-law Kevin is my long-time hunting buddy too). They flew to Detroit and then on to Pittsburgh. It was an incredible cruise. Like I've said before, it's the one cruise we chose to repeat because it's so beautiful. Princess is a wonderful cruise line, this was our fourth cruise with them, the food was amazing, and the ship was first class in every way. Still, the best part was the scenery. It's ALWAYS there and always beautiful. I did more glassing with my binoculars on this trip than I do when I hunt in Colorado. It's like traveling in a postcard.
This is three of the glaciers you'll see in College Fjord. The ship just parked in the middle of the bay and turned slow circles showing the glaciers on every side. The sun was shining and the water was smooth as glass. And this was the last evening of the trip which was wonderful every single day.

This picture was actually taken at about 10:00 P.M. I have a picture of my Micky watch at 10:00 as my hand blocked out the sunshine behind it. We introduced Kevin and Kathy to our favorite travel game - Fargle. It's great because all you need is six dice and it doesn't matter how many people are playing. You can also visit and enjoy fellowship while you play. Yes - it's not always about the competition. It was truly a blessing to spend time with Kevin and Kathy, all the crew from Florissant (past and present), and our great friends Bud and Betty from Nashville. We actually had 26 in our group and even had some visitors to our Sunday morning communion service in one of the ship's lounges. After the service, one visitor had a special prayer with Donna and me asking God to heal my voice problem. Never thought that would happen on a vacation cruise.

5 comments:

Scott Bayles said...

WOW! Those pictures are amazing. Very cool!! I know that we're not supposed to covet and all, but I'm SO jealous :)

Elizabeth said...

What a beautiful story about that visitor wanting to pray for your voice. You never know the impact you might have on a stranger, huh...or the impact they might have on you. LOVE the pictures you emailed!! One of these days Chad and I will get to Alaska and experience the beauty. Glad you are home safe and sound.

Deborah said...

I LOVE the prayer story. What a bold person to come and pray with a total stranger.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bro
What an awesome adventure! Far exceeded our expectations! The beauty was eclipsed only by the fellowship. (Is it time to eat yet?) You guys are such fun to hang out with. We just keep on making memories!
Just finished The Shack. Best I've read in years...really thought provoking. Thanks.
Kev

Anonymous said...

One of the things on my "To Do" list is an Alaskan Crusie! The pictures are great...glad you had a good time.

Phyllis