Wednesday, July 16, 2008

One More Time

Yes, I know I just did a blog about The Shack days ago, but there are still some of you that haven't read it yet. What are you waiting for? You can order it online for about ten dollars! It is a powerful book, a life-changing book, if you're heart is ready for it. I would go so far as to say that, other than the Word, if you only read one book this year, make it The Shack. I got copies for all our shepherds and their wives, for the staff, and I got a case of 30 from CBD (Christian Book Distributors) and had them available for sale last Sunday and everyone was purchased. (Actually, I did give two away.) A sister, whose family experience an incredible tragedy several years ago, told me that of all the books she's read since the tragedy, The Shack helped her more than any.
Let me warn you. It may rattle your notions about God and how he might appear if you got to visit with Him in person. I loved it. It shocked me at first, but then when I reflected on how William Young depicted God, it made total sense. Again, it will give you mental images that will stick in your heart and help you to draw closer to a personal God like nothing you've ever read.
I suspect that those folks who are drawn to law over love will have a difficult time accepting the images and the theology of this work of fiction. For those who are seeking the Spirit, it will touch you with challenges about forgiveness, judging, legalism, organized religion, and understanding how God works - well, like nothing I've ever read.
One more thought. If you haven't experienced serious tragedy in your life, you know you will. It's not whether but when! The Shack is one of the most comforting and encouraging books anyone could read whether it's for healing or for helping you get ready. One of the most powerful and life changing things anyone could do, in my opinion, would be to get a group of seekers together who have read this book, and discuss it chapter by chapter. I think you'll be surprised about how much we all need to adjust our theology.
Thanks Bill, but mostly, thanks Papa.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I'm reading it slowly so I can absorb every word. It's really an amazing book! Every night, I read a chapter. Then I close the book and sit there staring at the cover for a few minutes, trying to take it all in. I have never read a book like this!

Deborah said...

I think William Young should be paying you for all the advertisements and great reviews you're giving his book!

I just started it, by the way.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bro,
All of my kiddos have purchased/ read it and its the buzz in the Haugh family! Mom's having some stuggles with it but that's a good thing. I bought several copies for friends and family. Becky and Peter in Mass. are spreading the word about it in Ganderbrook, along with Zach and Cass up there in Maine. Brian and Cindy loved it and I even gave a copy to a principal friend whose daugher committed suicide last spring. He said its help more than words can express.
The SHACK should provide some interesting kitchen table conversations next weekend in AR!Now....if I can only get Kaitlyn to read it.....GREAT BOOK!!

Kev