Friday, July 18, 2008

Just Another Day?

We probably have it backwards. The older we get, the less we care about celebrating our birthdays. A couple years ago, we were traveling on my birthday and the day was two-thirds over before I remembered it was my birthday. Most of us just really don't want anyone to make a fuss over our birthday. After all, big birthday celebrations are for kids - right? I personally like to keep mine very low keyed. But, when I start thinking about how much I have to be thankful for, how incredible it is that God has blessed me with 57 years, and when I think about how many days that totals out to being - days that many never got to enjoy - maybe it should be a bigger deal. Not for others to celebrate my day of birth, but for me to thank God for all those opportunities to grow, learn more about Him, and enjoy all the wonders of life He has given me. I haven't deserved any of them, and I don't deserve, nor should I expect, the days yet to come. Each day is another day to celebrate loving relationships. That's why this birthday present from Deborah and Elizabeth (and their supportive husbands of course) is so special. They made me a photo album filled with pictures of everyone in our family, but especially with lots of pictures of all the grand kids. So when you come to our house, be ready to look at pictures.
Thanks kiddos. It was a very appropriate and thoughtful gift that truly helped me be thankful for 20,805 days that God has allowed me to enjoy. That was as of yesterday, my official birthday. This morning I'm up to 20,806. God is so good!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very thankful for all the years God has given you, especially those years for us to be together. I'm praying there will be many, many more too.

I'm also impressed you did the math to figure out how many days you have to be thankful for. Pencil and paper or calculator?? :)

Love, DSR

Deborah said...

Yea!!! We knew you would love your book! Happy Birthday, Dad (two days late). See you in a few days.