Monday, July 14, 2008

It's Not My Fault!

This picture (thanks JV) just touched my "Ironic Button" since it reminded me of something I was sharing at Florissant just last night. I am constantly amazed how people don't want to take responsibility for their mistakes and their poor decisions. IT IS easier to blame the gun, the pencil, the car, or the spoon rather than own up to the fact that we not only do wrong things, but we like to rationalize away any guilt or liability.
Last night, at a special Summer class we're having on Sunday evenings, we looked at the subject of abortion. Not exactly one of my favorite subjects to talk about. Still, while I had no trouble jotting down some thoughts to share, I still did some on-line research to just bring myself up to date on the contemporary arguments both pro & con. Why do the Pro-choice people like to call themselves Pro-Choice instead of Pro-Death? Or why not be honest and say they're Pro-Abortion? Why form a nationwide policy based on the less than 1% of women who want/need an abortion based on rape or incest? Or the less than 3% that are based on the health risk of the mother? Even if a person isn't a believer in God, how do you totally disregard love, sacrifice, values, and unselfishness that are innate maternal qualities? The truth is, that most abortions truly are a matter of convenience. It's simply a way to end an unwanted and unplanned pregnancy, so nearly one and a half million lives a year get sacrificed on the altar of selfishness and are dismissed as a side issue to freedom of choice.
The reality is that people want to have irresponsible sex and then not be responsible for the consequences. I don't even want to think about how that might be said on the above T-shirt.

1 comment:

Scott Bayles said...

Well said Mike!