Saturday, February 23, 2008

Yesterday, Today, and Today!

OK - It's, a muskrat, but it's related!

Somewhere between Gladiator and Singing In the Rain is one of my all time favorite movies. I realized last night that February was about to get away from me and I hadn't seen Groundhog Day yet. I love Groundhog Day - I think I've mentioned that a few times in the past. I love it for at least two reasons. First, and most obvious, is the message. "Phil" takes what seems to be a curse and learns the secret of happiness. He goes from shock to depression to total selfishness to suicidal to finally discover that happiness and meaning come from serving others. His final day in "Groundhog" eternity is so powerful and transforming that it brings me to tears. Because of his unselfishness - his giving, servant, lifestyle - he, in one day, has become the most beloved person in town. Truly, happiness comes from helping others be happy. How nice would it be to learn that without aging in the process. I'm not begrudging the aging, just the wasted years we all spend learning the very lesson we heard as children.

The other special reason I love it is because it does remind my of my own spiritual journey. Back when I saw the movie when it was new, I got the point, but it was still primarily a comedy to me. Several years later, after I'd been doing a lot more thinking and praying about God, grace, and gratitude, it touched me. It's still hilarious - but mostly profound. And I think it's amazing that it was made by worldly people who had no intentions of having any spiritual or religious connections to the movie. The writer and director say as much in the Special Features.

So, if you haven't seen it in a while, check it out. I'll end this with a question. How many repeated days would it take you to learn the purpose of life?

No comments: