Monday, February 25, 2008

Moods & Movies

This is the time of the year when we have what is probably the longest stretch of being away from our family. We haven't seen our kids and grand kids since Christmas. When I realized that my schedule wasn't going to allow any trips for a long while, I suggested to Donna that she might go to Nashville alone so at least one of us would get to see some family. So she left yesterday afternoon, after our first meeting of the musical cast and first read through of the script. I'm jealous, but happy that she could go. I really don't like long stretches of not seeing our loved ones - especially those grand kids. At their age, two or three months is huge in terms of changes in their lives. I can tell just by seeing their pictures on Deborah's and Elizabeth's blogs that they have grown a lot just since Christmas - especially little Curtis. He's already starting to look like a little person rather than a bundle of joy. And then there's the two in New York, who we have been trying to figure out a way to visit, but schedules, costs, and large blocks of time just haven't worked to make that a reality yet. I guess it would be nice to be rich an retired, but frankly, I dearly love what we are doing. I've never felt more a part of God's plan in my entire life than I do right now. I feel like the last thirty-something years were all part of His preparing us to be right here, right now. So, while I dislike being away from our family, I am deeply thanking to be where we are and doing what we are doing. Still, while I miss my favorite co-minister, I'm glad the grand kids get to spend a little time with Nana. She's a lot more fun than Papa, and I know it won't be too much longer until they all can visit St. Louis.
Since Donna was gone last night. I watch God's And Generals again. I loved it. It's long and has some painfully slow spots, but the historical accuracy is wonderful. The battle scenes make my blood run cold, especially Fredericksburg. As terrible as they depicted it, it was much, much worse. The carnage was incredible as thousands of Union troops, wave after wave, assaulted entrenched confederates, behind stone walls, shooting down hill. The Union troops were dropped by the thousands. How in the world did Lee watch that and then do what he did at Gettysburg?
I share this just to say that there are some scenes in God's And Generals that just grab my heart. I'm talking about the passion for God and the strong belief in prayer that is displayed by Jackson. The scene of Thomas Jackson and his wife sharing a scripture before he goes off to war is powerful. And his prayer with his black cook, on their way to Chancellorsville, where he is wounded and eventually dies, is incredible. I can't think of another movie (short of The Passion of course) that depicts a passion for God in such a favorable light. No jokes, no ridicule, and no "alternative" representation. Just a deep love for God. Even if you don't like war or historical movies, it's worth seeing just for the positive perspective on faith in God.

3 comments:

Deborah said...

We miss you too! The boys were so happy to wake up to Nana this morning. Joshua didn't even mind going to school--I think it was because his morning got off to such a happy start!

Don't worry, we'll take good care of her.

Nancy Jantz said...

I have read the book "Gods and Generals" (and a few others in the series, although their names escape me at the moment).

Maybe I'll pick this movie up the next time I'm looking for something to watch on a lazy Saturday afternoon.

Nancy

Elizabeth said...

We miss you, Dad!