Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Can You Hear Me Now?

In the last few years I have tried harder to listen to God's promptings in my life. I believe He guides us. It may be His Spirit doing the work, but I believe God put's word and thoughts into our ears and our hearts. Sometimes it's reading His Word or hearing someone else share their thoughts, or maybe it's just something that pops into my head that demands meditation. I especially try to pay attention when there are multiple "pops" over a period of time.
I share that just to say that I've been thinking a lot lately about how wonderful it is to know all my children love God and have a close walk with Jesus. Maybe it was the brothers I prayed with who were grieving over an adult child's ungodly choices. Maybe it was the news reports about sudden-unexpected tragedy in a government building or on a campus. Maybe part of was Heath Ledger. I've found myself thinking about Jesus' warning, "What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but loses his soul?" That's not said to judge him, but to point out how meaningless success is without God.
Maybe it's the preparation for this Sunday's "Be Real" lesson about loving and caring for children like Jesus did. I'm going to ask some really tough questions about our focus, our success record, and our responsibilities.
I don't know were it all came from. I'm just so thankful that I have six adult kids (by birth and by law) who know that their soul is far more important than the whole world, and that is being passed on to their children - my grand children. It makes me really appreciate and personalize Johns comment in 3 John4. "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth." And Jesus is that truth (John 14:6). Thanks John, for saying it well and thanks Holy Spirit for whispering it in his ear. God is good.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Only by the grace of God...