Thursday, January 31, 2008

Righteous Ranting

The last couple of wednesday nights I have spent a good bit of time discussing 1 Cor.2:1-5. The two key thoughts are vs.2 "For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified," and vs.5 "...so that you faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power." I love the focus on Jesus. Oh the wasted years of studying how to be doctrinally correct, win debates, and feel superior to everyone else steeped in religious error. It's all about Jesus and what He did to save us. And, at the risk of offending the spiritually correct, there is no better example of "men's wisdom" overshadowing Jesus than our manmade dissecting of scripture with "command, example, and implied inference." The raising of example and implied inference to equality with commands is the single biggest reason for legalism and division within the church. How many times have you heard someone argue about a command? Nearly every division I can think off, within the church, as come from disagreement on binding examples and implications! How sad is that? Pattern theology is simply a form of legalism that promotes jigsaw puzzle conclusions and distracts us from Jesus. We need to quit hanging our hat on our wisdom of man, with it's manmade formula for discovering truths, and start hanging on a cross where the power of God can be found.
Do I hear an AMEN?

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Amen!

Deborah said...

I remember the first time I ever heard the phrase "command, example, and necessary inference" was in my freshman Bible class at HU (we won't mention the teacher's name). I thought, "Man, I cannot believe Dad never preached about this. This is huge! I have been missing out on all this knowledge!"

I'm so glad I've matured past my 18-year-old brain. Now I say "THANK YOU" for not putting that phrase into my vocabulary!

Anonymous said...

AMEN............PREACH ON!!!

Katherine said...

Oh definitely...an emphatic AMEN!! :)

I am with Deborah, too-thank you for not preaching or teaching this-it has only been in recent years I have been exposed to this line of thinking, and I am grateful that it was not in my vocabulary before (nor is it now!)

Blessings! :)