Thursday, January 10, 2008

TerribleTowels


Life if full of tough questions. We can ignore or postpone answering them, but that lack of action is usually already an answer. Followers of Jesus, who want to truly be like and draw closer to Him, can't do it without asking themselves some tough questions. Call it soul-searching, spiritual grieving, self-examination, "testing the spirits," or just tough questions - we need to know where we need to go. For me, the most challenging question over the last several years has been "What's keeping me from being like Jesus?" Or, like that unfortunate Rich Young Ruler we don't want to identify with, "What lack I yet?" It only matters if I'm Being Real about wanting to be like Him. And if I'm Being Real - I have to be honest about wanting an honest answer. Ouch!

Last Sunday we devoted our Adult Bible Class time and our sermon time to "If I'm Being Real about being like Jesus, am I willing to wash feet?" I think the pictures and lessons I have in my head of Jesus washing His apostles feet makes it one of the most precious and challenging events of the Bible. I rate it right up there with His crucifixion and resurrection in terms of giving us the essence of Jesus. It never ceases to convict me about some aspect of Jesus that I desperately need help with. This lessons this time were no different in their power to touch me. The lesson of humble service is so obvious that's it's "in-your-face" how can you miss it - be like Jesus stuff! Again, ouch! But I have to say, the point that has been haunting me since God gave it to me a week and a half ago, and especially since I preached it last Sunday is this: We're not like Jesus until we wash Judas' feet. Like I said Sunday, everyone has a Judas, and every one's been a Judas.

It's real easy to climb on that spiritual cloud and see yourself washing the feet of friends, family, and even strangers, and visualize them being touched by your servant attitude. See them convicted by your example. Knowing how impressed they are with your spiritual journey. Then I see the feet of someone who betrayed me. Touch them? I don't want to think about them! But Jesus would - and I must. It's comfortable to be forgiving at a distance. It's amazing how free of spite and vengeance you can be when you never have to see your Judas. But seek them out? Wash their feet? Reject theoretical humility for the real thing? Yes, yes, and yes! There is NO alternative Jesus-like way to deal with our Judas. Have I said "Ouch" enough yet? Pardon me while I go get a towel.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OUCH! You did it again--I want to thank you for stepping on my toes for the last 11 years! THis one is really hard, but I am praying about it. Thanks for having the courage, heart and love to remind us of WHO and WHAT Christ was/is and what he did/does for us. May God continue to bless you as you strive to be more like His Son and help us to do the same. Thanks even though it hurts--Sherry