Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Let's Do Lunch

It's hard to not become personally attached to someone you've observed on screen or read a lot of their work. Don't you have a list of movie and TV personalities that you'd just love to meet, get to know, and just spend time with? People who seem to be the kind of folks you'd love to have as friends? And how many times have you been disappointed to discover that the truly wise, decent, and kind celeb is a true egotistical idiot in real life? Still, I'd love to sit down and chat with Selleck, Hanks, Leno, and several others who have always seemed to me to be interesting folks. The same thing is true about authors. I don't feel that way as much about the fiction writers I've read through the years, but the inspirational/devotional authors, the ones who really speak to me personally with their pen and ink (okay - bites), they're the ones I'd really love to visit with. I have talked with Max (If you have to ask which one GET A LIFE!) and he's truly a the kind child of God you'd think he is. But I've got to tell ya - the guy I'd really love to get to know - because I think we'd really hit it off - is John Ortberg. I love his stuff. One of his early books, The Life You've Always Wanted, is still one of my favorite. And his classic, If You Want To Walk On Water, You Have To Get Out Of The Boat, is wonderful too! I just finished When The Game Is Over It All Goes Back In The Box and it's rich with thoughtful insights and challenging calls to keep our priorities right. At the risk of sounding terrible - I love guys who say things I've been saying. It was shocking to me, how many times during the Myth series, I would make a point that I'd read that next week in his book. No, I didn't steal it, because I said it before I read it. Hmmm - I just realized how that sounds then for me to call him brilliant. Oh well, I'm just trying to make the point that I'd love to meet him. If you haven't read the book yet, I recommend it highly. He follows my simple rules for preaching and writing - be simple, logical, and biblical - and fortunately he's tremendously readable, practical, and fun. Maybe I could help him discover some shorter titles for his books.

3 comments:

Odgie said...

Unfortunately, most of the authors that I would love to have a conversation with are dead. Top of the list is Dietrich Bonhoeffer.

Deborah said...

I'd love to meet Jack Bauer--someone who has died twice, never gets shot even though he runs through the line of fire, and always asks people to trust him--wow, what a guy. To bad the guy in REAL life is a scumbag. I couldn't have lunch with him between all the DUI sentences and court dates! :)

I too would love to meet Ortberg. Now that I'm into Francie Rivers books, I'd love to meet her too. The heart that goes behind the words she writes is truly fascinating.

Tell Ortberg that "Rev" is a great, short title for a book!

Scott Bayles said...

It's funny how often you say stuff I've been saying... I'm so jealous that you've talked to Max and I'm just getting familar with John Ortberg. Reading "If you want to walk on water..." is what made get off my rear end and start preaching again. I just started reading "The life you've alwasy wanted." But Max's book, Just like Jesus, will always be my favorite.