Sunday, January 06, 2008

Dumbness

This is a picture of tonight's sunset. Wild new year! The first week of '08 started out with single digit nights and today it was almost 70. I like variety - especially when it's Arctic cold! I took this picture because the windows all across the back of our house were literally glowing with this bright golden sunset. Doesn't God do some awesome work? This past week I was reflecting on my real obsession in life. Family and friends (and I) make fun of my pretend obsessions - sometimes referred to as OCD, and that really is a joke. I do like things organized, together, and in there place, but many times I'm just too lazy or unmotivated to really make it happen. That's hardly obsessive! But I am honest enough to realize that what really "pushes my buttons" and makes me get obsessive is avoiding "dumbness". That's right! I can't stand knowing I did something wrong, improperly, the slow way, or just generally the "well everyone knows it's done this way" kind of thing. I don't know where it came from, but I will spend more time thinking through how to do a job effectively and efficiently than it would take to just do it - even if it wasn't the BEST way to do it! It needs to "make sense" and "be logical" and it absolutely has to be the "right way" to do it. I don't want to look back, slap my forehead, and say, "Boy, that was dumb!"
Then I wondered, "What does God consider dumb?" Probably not what we think. He's not always interested in efficiency or effectiveness, and He certainly isn't interesting in impressing anyone with His intelligence. That's a given! We're too self-centered - He's not! We're too interested in achievements and image management! He's not! But as I looked at His sunset - I remembered. "The fool has said in his heart there is no God." Now that's being dumb!

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Ooh, good point. I need to lock that one away when I'm in one of my "Dad OCD" moments.

Oh yeah, but that IS just a joke that you're OCD, right?...hmmm