Monday, August 20, 2007

That's Entertainment!

As hard as it is to believe right now - we'll soon be complaining about the cold.

High School Musical 2 is on our DVR, so we will be seeing it today sometime, but I first have to say that Hairspray was fun. We went to see it last week and it far exceeded my expectations - especially in terms of just being a blast to watch. The music and movements (choreography - formerly known as dancing) was incredible. It has a great message about past racism, but it's truly funny and wonderfully entertaining. For those of us who clearly remember '62, it brings back lots of memories that have been tucked away for awhile. And I have to say that John Travolta was a great overweight socially inhibited 60's mom. Like I say, it's just fun.


And speaking of entertaining, several years ago I read Steve Chapman's book, A Look at Life from a Deer Stand, and truly enjoyed it. In fact, I pasted it on to several hunter friends. His lessons-learned were all things I've thought about - in deer stands, and was glad to find out that others did to. Steve is a Christian singer, song writer, speaker, and most of all bowhunter, who has written several books. Anyway, I just finished Another Look at Life from a Deer Stand and it was equally as good as the first. I love to read people who say things I've been saying for years. He had a great statement about performing rituals and being driven by patterns that was right on the money. I love it - he said, "Ultimately, Satan would prefer that 'devotion' be our god, not God be our devotion." Wow! How true and how sad! That was worth the price of the book. And he's in Nashville! Can someone in Nashville get away with saying stuff like that?

2 comments:

Deborah said...

Glad you liked Hairspray as much as we did. We downloaded the whole album that night after we saw it--we LOVED the music.

You'll like HSM2 also, but get ready for some cheesy acting. If you only judge it by the the big group numbers and the dancing, you'll love it. The press has just announced that HSM 3 is going to be in theaters--RATS! No free viewings on Disney Channel. I'm sure we'll fork over the $$$ to see it, though!

Anonymous said...

We watched it Monday night and really enjoyed it. Like you said before, at least it's good clean teenage fun! The acting and story line were cheesy, but the large group number were great. I'm thinking about not naming our next play after a Bible story, but just calling it "Church Musical"!