Monday, August 27, 2007

The FBA?


The Future Bowhunters of America!


What a great way to spend a day off. I got up early, loaded up one of my hunting stands into the back of the van, loaded up my Arctic Cat onto my trailer, and drove over to Hardin, IL to meet Danny Younger for breakfast at Mel's. We then went out to our new hunting spot, tied stands onto our ATV's, and set out to place our first hunting stands of the season on an incredible piece of hunting property surrounded by corn and soybeans, and crawling with deer. It's always harder work to put up a stand than I think it will be, but just to put it in place, and with sweat pouring off my brow, sit in it for a few moments and just imagine watching all the deer that will travel down the trails my stand covers - it's nice. It was especially exciting to realize what a beautiful scenic place it is. I can't wait to see the colors of fall blanket the hills and valleys of that part of IL. I can't wait to watch an early morning sunrise or even a sunset from the hilltop my stand is on. I couldn't help but think that most people have no idea what it's like to spend quiet time out in the country, on a deer stand, with no city noises or sounds anywhere, and just enjoy God's creation. What really makes it fun is when you have a hunting buddy to share it with. Not the stand time, but the pre & post hunt time. I've never spent time in a deer stand that I didn't have some kind of story to share after the hunt. Most of the time, the story doesn't even include a deer. It's just God's creation, and it's always good - like He is. I hope my grand kids can experience it with me sometime and learn to appreciate the peace that comes from learning how wonderful - and big - our Father's world is. And yes, I spent part of my day off with my beautiful wife. I even grilled chicken for our dinner tonight, and boy was it good. Not as good as Donna's marinated venison, but still good. Even if it hadn't been good, it's always a blessing to share another wonderful meal with my wonderful wife. (Who understands completely why I love to hunt! And everything else I do - for that matter.) If I kill it - she'll grill it! I think that'll preach!

1 comment:

Deborah said...

There's something about Caleb holding an arrow that's just a little too "normal" looking...