Tuesday, June 21, 2011

I Believe Jesus Is the Son of God!

Faith is what you tell yourself - primarily about things you can't see. When you think about it, the vast major of what we know is knowledge by faith. We haven't been to all the places we know about, or seen very many of the things we've heard about, but we trust the witnesses and evidence we've been presented and we have little problem accepting things as fact. An old Roy Rogers and Dale Evans song said, "Have faith, hope, and charity. That's the way to live sincerely. How do I know? The Bible tells me so."
When you are answering the question "Why do you believe Jesus is God's Son?" your answers - your faith - will rest on whether or not you believe the Bible is true and from God. That is my lesson for this coming Sunday, but for now, the Bible is my primary source of evidence. Here is a brief overview of how I answered that question last Sunday.
I believe Jesus is God's Son...
1. Because God says he is! (And I believe God - see last weeks lesson) We all remember what God said at the baptism of Jesus, and again at his Transfiguration. "This is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased. Listen to him!" Can you accept or believe only SOME of what God says? Look at some of Jesus' declarations in John 5, 8, and 14.
2. Because his life says he is! (This needs to be a separate sermon on its own.)
A. Look at what he left! Philippians 2:6
B. Look at what he became! vs.7
C. Look at what he sacrificed! vs.8
D. There is no other explanation for who is was/is!
3. Because his signs say he is! (Who else could do these things?)
A. His signs show that he is Lord of creation. (Jn.1:1; 8:58)
B. His signs show that he was a compassionate teacher
C. His signs show that he was a purpose driven Son
4. Because his teachings say he is! (Not just claims!)
A. His total focus on his father (at 12; in his ministry)
B. His total focus on his priorities (Plan! Timing! Place!)
C. His total focus on love (His obedience, journey, goal = God)
5. Because witnesses say he is! Witnesses who died for their faith!
A. Peter: Matt.16:18 then in Acts 2:36
B. Thomas: Jn.20:28
C. Paul: Phil.2:9-11
6. Because his resurrection says he is!
A. His resurrection was the Good News (check out Acts preaching)
B. His resurrection confirms our resurrection. Rom.6:4-5
C. There is no explanation for why God raised him from the dead other than he was his Son - the Messiah.
7. Because my heart says he is! Like the woman at the well in Jn.4, the more I'm with him the more he confirms who he is. God's promise of seeking & finding is true with Jesus! No one who ever lived is like him, is as one with God, and willing to die for me to pay my debt!
Conclusion: "Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird? It's a plane? It's Superman!" One of my favorite childhood TV shows. You see observation! Options! Reaching the only reasonable conclusion. When you look at Jesus - check the options - there is only one reasonable conclusion.

No comments: