Monday, April 07, 2008

Wildlife In The Burbs

Donna was able to get a picture of this duck sitting on her nest of eggs right under our large picture window overhang on the back of our house. I suspected that she was sitting a nest of eggs when I watched her disappear under the window early in the morning a couple days in a row. When I tried to sneak around the side of the house and zoom in with my camera to get a picture, she flew out before I could. She didn't fly when Donna took her picture, so maybe she knew who the hunter in the family is. I thought she'd have a hard time keeping her eggs safe, with all the neighborhood cats I've seen prowling around, and with all the night-time wild critters that roam the night. Sure enough...
...these are her eggs, opened and eaten. Actually, whatever it was, my guess is a raccoon, came one night and got about four of them and she was back sitting on the remaining two eggs that day. Then the next night the eggs thief returned and got the remaining two eggs. Such is life. I wonder how many of all the eggs that are laid by wild ducks actually hatch? No one knows but God. Like I said, such is life - because this morning, Donna and I laughed to watch the drake chasing the nest-free hen all around the pond. That's wildlife! There's no grieving, remorse, or bad memories - just survival. That's they way God made them and when they, yes even ducks, function the way God made them to function, He is glorified by His creation. As I've said many times, how ironic is it that mankind, the only part of creation that is made in the image of God, is the only part that can choose to not glorify Him. Things are going to happen to all of us simply because we are part of nature, but we have the opportunity to live eternally if we will seek the One who made us.

No comments: