Wednesday, April 09, 2008

What in the world are You doing?

I've stopped trying to figure God out. I give up! Actually, I gave up - a long time ago. My job is not to "figure him out" but to know Him, seek Him, and love Him. To figure Him out, I would have to be God myself. I can't know how He works or why He does what He does. Besides that, I don't need to know. What I need to know is that He loves me! What I need to know is that I can trust Him! What I need to know is that He will take care of me no matter what this temporary life throws at me, and He will see me through every hard time and use it to help me draw even closer to Him.
I know what His ultimate plan is and that means I don't have to know how He will carry out His plan. I see the here and now. I want peace and happiness here and now. I want it fixed if it needs fixing, you guessed it - here and now. Our Father sees yesterday, today, and tomorrow on the same spiritual screen. He's in all three. He started things moving decades ago to answer a prayer I offer today so this His plan will be carried out tomorrow. How incredible is that?
So why does sad and terrible things happen to godly people? If you're a parent, you know that sometimes all you can say to your child is "because." Sometimes things happen just because we are living in a world with natural laws that include everyone of us. We're just visitors and we have no promise or guarantee of how many days we will have. We don't deserve any. Every single day is a blessing. Sometimes God intervenes to carry out His will, sometimes it's His will that His natural laws dictate what happens. Why? When? We'll never know in this life. But every day is a blessing from Him and that's always true whether it's decades of life or days in a womb.
"Oh the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out! Who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been his counselor? Who has ever given to God, that God should repay him? For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be the glory forever! Amen"
Lord, help my unbelief so I will continue to stop trying to figure You out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mike,
This message is really timely for me today. Thank you for writing it and taking the time to be inspirational for others. See ya at practice. Valerie