Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Down In The Pits!

This is a picture of our basement that I posted almost a year ago after I did the biggest part of the framing. Well, I hit a "rough spot" after that as I tried to figure out how to do all the electrical work without paying big bucks and still obeying the county code. Short story: I couldn't figure out a way so I ended up paying an electrician to come do all the basic electrical. After some "missing things" the inspector pointed out were fixed or built, I finally got the "thumbs up" to move to the next stage. Last week I did all the insulation and yesterday, with some great friends showing up to help, we began doing the dry wall work. Finally it's starting to look like a room in a house and not a basement cave.
You never realize how many pipes, vents, wires, etc. you have in basement until you start having to box them in so you can dry wall around and over them. Oh the little pieces and the little cuts! It's so nice to have helpers who know how to do it.

For some reason we have white foot prints throughout our house. Not really, but the dust from cutting the dry wall is everywhere.


That little room on the left will be our new pantry - when it's finished and when we figure out a place to put all my hunting stuff that now fills the room. See the stack of dry wall on the floor? I hoping I figured it out exactly so we don't have to make any more trips up and down the stairs with more sheets. Paul Parrett and I carried fifty sheets down yesterday as Ken Teson, Ron Ebker, and Cary Paul used the rented dry wall lift to raise sheets up to the celling. It sure was nice to have so many helpers. In fact, this was going to be a blog about why it's so hard for some of us to ask for help - especially when we are willing to give it. These guys asked me if they could help and I now I don't know how I could have done it with out them. I smell a future blog!



2 comments:

Deborah said...

YEAH!! It's looking great down there. Glad you have so much help.

Elizabeth said...

I can't believe how different it looks already! What great friends you have!