Friday, April 04, 2008

Heart Songs

Between the usual "church work," the play, and the basement, there hasn't been any extra time to think about a blog, but I do want to just mention a couple of thoughts that have been running through my mind after having a disappointing discussion about fellowship with our Christian church brethren. And let ME be clear about my feelings. They are brothers and sisters - period - end of story! What part of "one Lord, one faith, one baptism" do we have an issue about? And I'm sorry if some still think using instrumental music is a salvation issue. That's a terrible misunderstanding of scripture and a terrible understanding of grace.
That is a bigger discussion than I want to get into here and now, but I will say this. Since I've been getting my voice treatments now - I've had four - which involves botox injections into my vocal chords which causes me to be able to only whisper for about two weeks and not be able to sing for about five to six weeks - I have a new perspective on singing and making melody in my heart to the Lord. I have always loved singing with my church family. It has been the single biggest tool that I've used to get truly "pumped up" before I share my message every Sunday morning. Now, it has to happen more in my heart than on my lips. Now, I have to "be admonished" by others more than I can be a giver and speak to others through songs. I say all that to simply make this point: I am more convinced than ever that God meant for singing to be a matter of the heart, and ALL ELSE IS INCIDENTAL! It's a tool given by God to help edify one another and to make the tool a ritual filled with legal specifications is simply missing the point.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike: Thanks for your courage and your wisdom. Is still believe it all comes down to "Keep your eyes upon Jesus" then it will all fall into place.Oh the time we have wasted thru the years and the bad example we have set. I think "bickering" is one of Satan's greatest tools. Oh, how happy we make him. Thank you for teaching a pure message from the heart. Sherry

Deborah said...

I sometimes wonder if it would take me losing my voice to truly appreciate singing from my heart. Ever since you started these treatments, I have had a growing thankfulness for my voice. I find that I am more dicouraged now when my heart isn't right, as opposed to my pitch. Thank you for setting that example for me, AND for always teaching me that "heaven-bound" has NOTHING to do with the sign out front of the church building.

Anonymous said...

If we could only keep it simple and STOP making rules where none exist.