Saturday, April 19, 2008

A New Fear?

I've been receiving a lot of emails, mostly forwarded articles, about Oprah's "New Religion" or her "New Cult". All I can think of is that it's terribly hard to throw off the old mantel of paranoia that so many of us lived in with our legalistic, exclusive, and smug church thinking for so many years. The article from Fox News sounded amazingly like something from the old Contending For the Faith - which was always more about being contentious about faith than seeking it - then an objective look at a philosophical writers ideas. Remember when the mere suggestion that we could do something different in our assemblies got us labelled "New Change Agents"? Remember when even hinting that we might consider interpreting the New Testament from Jesus' perspective rather than a jigsaw puzzle perspective suddenly became "A New Hermeneutic"? Now a little paper back book that is challenging people to honestly look into their hearts and see the real person they need to be is "New Age," Scientology, and a "New Religion" headed by Oprah. It all sounds a little bit like jealousy, bitterness, and revenge towards a powerful celebrity who happens to support a democrat. I am not a democrat, but then, I'm not sure right now if I'm a republican either. It also disturbs me that people can be so hateful and mean about a writer who is different and was not a celebrity until Oprah read his book. What I really am is a seeker of anything that will help me draw closer to God. From what I've read in Eckhart Tolle's A New Earth, I've seen only things that will help and inspire anyone who is seeking God.
I'm not finished with the book, but I've read enough to encourage you to read it for yourself. Don't let the fear mongers do your thinking for you. If I were to sum up his book, which is a little different and not always easy to follow, I think two things jump to the surface. One, he helps the reader live in the now. Jesus said, "Don't be anxious about tomorrow" and Tolle echoes His teaching by simply pointing out that we lose too much because we live in the past or anticipate the future. His words are a little different, but the point is so true. Learn to appreciate - be thankful for today - this moment, and don't waste it.
The second thing I've been impressed with is his guiding the reader into seeing how we are controlled by the roles, the influences, the pressures, or the perceptions of what we think others, or our circumstances, require us to be. We are out of touch with the real, authentic person in our hearts. I would call it selfishness and he helps us see where it comes from, but he calls it ego. Six to one.... I would say that it's a call to Be Real or honest with ourselves. He calls it "awareness". ...half dozen the other.
It's silly paranoia to call it a "New Religion" or "Oprah's Cult". I like the open discussion of "What Jesus was really saying" and I like the challenge to discover what life is really all about. Like Oprah said, it will make you a better follower of Jesus and it should make every minute you spend in worship more meaningful. The only thing new about that is maybe a new honesty about what we are doing.
So before you panic and start fearing the "Church of Oprah", read it for yourself. And, as when you read your Bible, read it with the eyes of Jesus. What can it teach you about developing a deeper relationship with Him. Now there's a new idea. And sure, there are a few things that you will have to ignore or reject, but because you're a seeker not a robot you don't have to eat everything on the plate.

7 comments:

Scott Bayles said...

It's nice to hear a non-sensationalistic approach to this whole "Church of Oprah" thing. And boy, do I remember "Contentious for the Faith." I don't know anything about this new book, but I've personally never cared for Oprah. She's been saying for years that Jesus isn't the only way to God, and she's one of the most influencial people in the world. That being said, I don't think that she is the Anti-Christ. :)

Elizabeth said...

Loved this post! Your words are so right. We need to free ourselves of this fear we carry around and really look inside to find our authentic selves. It's not about Oprah...I hope people can get past that.

Deborah said...

I was waiting for you to post about this and wondering what you were going to say.

Lisa said...

Amen!! I have read the book and am taking the class. Through reading the book I have developed a deeper "awe" and closeness to Jesus. It has been disheartening to see such a "closed fist" response from many Christians. I love the thought that it is our job as Christians to claim and point out Jesus and his truth where we find him, no matter how unusual the source. Thank you for your post!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure where to begin. But I am a bit concerned when the church begins to take on the ideas, such as Tolle's A New Earth, as something to seriously consider as fact. In Galatians 4, Romans 5, etc. the writer clearly speaks of one way through redemption...Jesus. Maybe we need to ask ourselves if this is truely the message Tolle's speaks of in this book. No one wants to feel oppressed or be accused of "Nay-Saying" but truth cannot be ignored. "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you know me, you will know my father also." Jn 16.

God Bless.

Anonymous said...

All I can say is "Amen" to Chris, however, I haven't read a word in Tolle's book about salvation. He's talking about finding our purpose in life by being in touch with the real "me" rather than let selfishness (ego) rule our lives. Sure I would love to see him point out that being like Jesus is THE most important thing in life, but this is a philosphy/psychology book, not a theology book. Eat the meat and spit out the bones. I wouldn't even consider using it in a Bible class, but that doesn't mean it can't help people get their priorities straight. Thanks for the observations. Mike

Nathan said...

I really don't want to come off as a nay-sayer as Chris put it, but I feel like I might be in this case. But please at least hear me out.

Though I have not read this book, nor do I have time to read this book, I have read some excerpts and reviews from secular as well as Christian organizations that have read the book and made comment. One particular except is this:

"Religion can be an open doorway into spirituality and religion can be a closed door. It prevents you from going deeper. So that I love reading the New Testament and I also read the Old Testament. Sometimes there's some incredible jewels in there. And when I went through this inner transformation and for the first time accidentally picked up a copy of the New Testament in my Mother's place. And I started reading and I immediately recognized the deep truths that is in this book and I realized the truth that is deeper, that is expressed in what Jesus said is much deeper than what you, how the church interprets it. There’s a depth to it. And it reflects your own depth when you read it. So there’s no conflict between this teaching, which is purely spiritual, and any religion. Because if you go deep enough in your religion, then you all get to the same place. It's a question of going deeper so there's no conflict here."

This kind of thinking is along the same lines as Joseph Campbell from his book "The Power of Myth". In it, Christianity is classified as a mythology and a philosophy, nothing more than that. Joseph, as this writer from the sounds of it, spiritualizes the text in the Bible and therefore dumps all objective meaning and value from the words of Jesus.

I will say that this book "appears" (just as Joseph Campbell's book is) to be a world view. One reviewer dubbed the author's overarching philosophy to be "all is one and all is God". That's called pantheism.

No let me be clear, I have not read this book myself as stated above. But the idea that I must read every since book out there that frightens people in order to judge it for myself is absolutely rediculous. That is the same thought process involved with the whole "experience it yourself" from the 60's. I do not need to experience certain things in order to know it is not good for me. The entire purpose of wisdom is not for me to learn and horde for myself, but to share with others what I have found so that they may not have to experience everything I have. At some point, we should listen to wisdom and learn to trust those who have the knowledge and experience.