Wednesday, March 12, 2008

A Prayer That's On My Heart

Father, please put the best person in the White House. I feel so helpless to know who's right or best. Help me to rely on You, to trust in You, and to remember that Your Kingdom is not of this world. Father, I'm torn and confused. Do I side with the party that claims to have conservative values, but sometimes doesn't, or the party that claims to have compassion, but sometimes doesn't. Do I side with a party that is pro-choice as a platform, but has many who are pro-life, or a party that claims to be pro-life, but over half claim to be pro-choice. Do I listen to those who declare that one party is more righteous/Christian than the other, when both seem so godless at times? Father, I'd love to see a woman as President, but this one? I'd love to see a black, Christian man in the White House, but this one? I'd love to see a true hero lead our country, but this one?
Father, I don't want to be apathetic and I surely don't want to be cynical. Father, help me to be a good steward of all you've given me. You gave me life, you gave me an imperfect, but still the greatest country ever, and you gave me the opportunity to have a voice and a vote. But Father, my citizenship is not of this world. I am a stranger and an alien here. Help me to not be driven by self-interest or party interest, but by the spirit of Jesus. I know you'll guide me, and I know you'll still be in control no matter who is elected. Father, help us to show the world that no election is more important than your election - being added to your Kingdom. Thank you for listening. Thank you for answering.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen! Thanks SH
I have to have faith--because it is the scariest election I can remember.

Anonymous said...

Oh how well you stated the issues on my heart this election year! I continue to be concerned for the choices we have. The decline of Godliness in this country reminds me that God loves his people and wants us to seek Him. But are we? Are we asking his help in determining who best to be our nations leader? Thanks for the prayer that reminds us and guides us.
P. Russell

Anonymous said...

Amen from my corner of the political process as well! It is a privilige and a responsibility to have a vote, but such a blessing to be able to talk to the One who really dispenses the power. Thanks for the post Mike!

Anonymous said...

Mike,

How thoughtful and insiteful you put it into words. I could not imagine a better thought and may God bless us and answer your prayer.