Friday, March 14, 2008

Church PC


We had a lot of great songs in our musical last year, but the one I had the most fun writing the lyrics for was "I'm So PC" from West Side Story's "I Feel Pretty". If you saw the play, it was sung by Valerie McBain. In fact, she's singing my favorite set of lyrics again this year's musical. She's doing "Pirate School Drop Out" from the Grease number "Beauty School Drop Out." Anyway, I say that just to introduce my Top Ten. Every one's obsessed with being PC (politically correct, for those living in a cave) and it dawned on me that we've been doing that in church for decades. I've always said, especially regarding "change" and "new things", that it's not what you do but what you call it. So - here is my Top Ten Church PC Language.

If you are going to be Church PC, it must be:

1. Choreography not dancing (especially at any Christian University or school)

2. Chorus not choir (this is where it's good to ignore the OT)

3. Baptismal Practice not a pool party (this varies depending on how close you are to a large body of water or living in a hot area of the country)

4. Stretching! Not raising hands! (and don't rock)

5. Elders not bosses (church CEO is definitely out of the question)

6. Chronologically Challenged not "long winded"

7. Closing Prayer not "The dinner bell"

8. Opening Prayer not "Shut up and sit down!"

9. "Traditional" not immovable

"Progressive" not entertaining

"Liberal" not totally wrong

"Conservative" not dead

10. "Offering the invitation" not "The Song-book-shuffle"

No comments: