Monday, March 24, 2008

"Nana's Fridge"



I was standing in the kitchen this morning, waiting for a second cup of coffee to brew before I descended into the basement to finish installing insulation in the walls, and I found myself staring at our refrigerator. It's just a typical frig like the one in most kitchens across the country, and yet, it's very different - very special. What makes it special is that it's "Nana's Fridge" - that's Donna for any of you who don't know her grandma name. Because it's Nana's Fridge, it's iconic to the Root family. It's were special pictures must be posted with magical magnets. Pictures of our children and grand children, of friends and their children and grand children. And of course, there must always be those amazing works of art that only little hands with crayons can make - where horses are blue and mice dance and lines become impossible to stay inside of. It's a great achievement to get your drawing placed on Nana's Fridge. It's not for just anyone. You have to have a sweet smile, an infectious giggle, and a pure heart. It's not required, but it's always the case - you have to think that Nana is the best thing since glazed doughnuts - and she is. Nana's Fridge hasn't always been Nana's Fridge. We bought it in 1990 when we moved to Texas. Back then, it was Mom's Fridge, and strangely enough, it pretty much looked the same then as it does now. Same kind of facial characteristics in the pictures, same kind of requirements to get posted, and the same kind of art work. And the best part of Nana/Mom's Fridge is that it always held wonderful things that she seemed to turn into the best food, the most fun, and the greatest memories. I am thankful for that and mostly I'm thankful for Nana. I am thankful for God's goodness and blessings, and of course, He is good whether or not life is good to us. I guess the reason I haven't paid a lot of attention to Nana's Fridge is because I'd much rather look at Nana.

4 comments:

Deborah said...

We were sure thankful to taste the food that came out of Nana's fridge last week!!!

I love that you wrote this down. You have an amazing way of reminding me to notice the simple blessings and hidden symbolisms in life.

You also remind me that I didn't get my spelling talents from you...;) Hee hee...

Elizabeth said...

Nana's fridge is kind of like Target...it always has everything we need!

Anonymous said...

Awww, you made me cry. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you love our daughter! YOu two make a good pair. We surely did enjoy having her here for a few days. I am sure you missed her.
Mamaw