Monday, March 17, 2008

Brother Root?



Donna took this picture of me Saturday evening when I came home after doing a wedding. The only reason I share it is to show "some" of my good friends that I really do own a suit and I do wear one occasionally - weddings or funerals (I know there's a joke there somewhere). The real reason I share it is because of the combination of two things that may never be seen together again - or at least for a long time to come. My white beard (which, yes, I do keep trimmed short) and the wearing of a coat and tie. Unless someone dies, my next wedding ceremony is in October and my three month old beard is not long for this world (which isn't connected to someone dying - thank goodness). I've used it as my Be Real reminder since the first week of January, but to be real about it, I'm already tired of it. I plan to continue my series of lessons on Be Real (about being like Jesus) through May, but our adult classes on this subject will stop at the end of March. It has been one of the most spiritually enriching things I have ever done. It's all about being completely honest about how passionate we are about building a deeper relationship with God and becoming more like Jesus. It's about breaking free from ruts and routines. It's about stopping the pretending and playing church. I hope others have been blessed as much as I have. Anyway, when you hear someone say, "That Mike Root never wears a coat and tie," which I'm sure you hear daily, just guide them to my blog and show them that I still know how a real preacher is supposed to look. OOPS! I forgot to hold my Bible up for the picture!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooo - what a hunk! :)

Anonymous said...

Who is that guy in the picture? I know I recognize him from somewhere. He looks like someone I know. Are you sure that's Mike? That can't be Mike he's got on a tie and coat. Oh, but it is Mike!

The plane ... the plane.

Enough already.

I could share mine but Inez hasn't taken a picture yet.
Curt