Saturday, June 16, 2007

Wrap-up and Racing




I'm relaxing after spending the morning in my first Komen Race for the Cure. It was hot! Still, it was totally amazing to see so many people getting together to do something good! They say nearly 70 thousand were in it this year. Wow. That should be worth a couple seconds on the News rather than war, woes, and weirdos. I can't explain how incredible it was to wait 45 minutes at the front of the race after the "Start" whistle blew, and seeing ten's of thousands of people go past us before we jumped in - AND there were as many behind us as in front of us! We had nearly a hundred in our group from Florissant and sharing the experience was wonderful. Even the short devo in the parking lot of the church building at 5:30 AM was fun. I like devos when I have a mug of coffee in my hand. Other than Donna trying to faint in the jam-packed Metrolink and having to sit on the floor for a few minutes to stop her head from spinning and get some color back into her face, it was a great experience.



We had our final cast dinner last night. We had a great meal and all watched a "rough" copy of the DVD for the play. It was so fun to see things that you miss in the live performance. As usual, there was a lot more "hamming" than I realized, but that's the way it is with live performances and grace-driven-directors. They were an incredible group to work with and I am really proud of their dedication to quality and everyones focus on glorifying God. They honored Donna and I with some nice/thoughtful gifts. A gift card to our favorite Mexican restaurant, and a beautifully inscribed storm lamp (that's actually electric) and will be in an obvious spot in our house. So come see it! I told Donna as we drove home last night, I really feel like it's over now. And yet - we have several hundred families to follow up on! The show must go on! Besides, I have already started on next years play. Jonah and the Pirates of the Mediterranean. Sounds like a fish story to me.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

A fish story...you are so funny. Glad your race went well. Too bad Mom got sick. It's hot here too, so we either stay inside or go spend an hour at the pool.

Anonymous said...

Re: next year's play -- I think we need a "research trip" to Disney World to check out the Pirates ride so you can add some accurate music, coreography, and scenery!