Saturday, June 23, 2007

I Like Dean Koontz

About a month ago I read a Dean Koontz book, The Husband, and really enjoyed it. I've been thinking about some way to apply it to something in my life and haven't hit on the right thing yet. It's not one of his usual "weird" books about mysterious happenings that have a logical or supernatural explanation. This is a survivor theme. One of my favorite. No blood & guts, no sex or lots of vulgarity, just a story about a humble hard working guy who loves his wife and is a really good person. Then his wife is kidnapped and he is told to do some evil things if he wants to see here alive. It's not what you think and I'm not going to tell you what happens. The point is - what would you do to save the one you love? Could you justify doing something that totally violates your principles of life - your values? What would it take to make you compromise your faith? It's not like we don't do it regularly. Anyway, it's an interesting trip into the world of rationalizing and survival. Now, how does that apply to going on an Alaska cruise that you can't afford? Oh yes! It's all for my wife - yeah - that's the ticket! Now for a survival theme...let's go with...SOMETIMES YOU JUST NEED A BREAK!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mike, I love Dean Koontz.
I just finished his new book "The Good Guy".
You would love it. Good vs Evil. That is what most of his books are about.
I have read everyone of his books.
I really liked the Husband.