Monday, June 18, 2007

Passion and Programs

It's good to be able to talk normally. I had such strong feelings about the lesson I preached yesterday, that all I could think of was, "Thank you Lord for letting me speak for you." I still can't speak with a lot of volume, but hey, that's why we spend big bucks on mics and sound systems. Still, I wanted to be a lot more forceful when a made a couple of points in the lesson. Is it okay to be greedy when you're sharing the Word of God? I am so grateful for a smooth sound again even if I couldn't shout. Part of the problem was that the lesson was about having a passion for the lost and it's hard not to be passionate when you're talking about passion. Paul's feelings in those first five verses of Romans nine are striking. His passion for the souls of his fellow Jews came from his passion for Jesus. This was my "Bottom Line" purpose statement at the top of my outline: There is no passion for the lost when there is no passion for being saved. Paul's passion came from his relationship with Jesus not because the church had a dynamic outreach program. Isn't it astounding to realize that the great commission is never repeated in the epistles? How about the fact that churches, even those with serious problems like Corinth, are never told to be evangelistic, form an outreach ministry, or even to focus on reaching the lost? That can't be true! We've used outreach as our permanent guilt trip forever! Yet I've never seen an outreach program that either worked or lasted long! As I pointed out yesterday, because we've institutionalized the church, we've institutionalized obedience. So now worship, learning, and outreach are ministries, programs, and functions of the institution. Until we grasp the fact that we meet together to help each other develop a deeper relationship with Jesus - and it's only when we have that relationship with Him that we witness for Him, we will continue to fail miserably at outreach and continue to define "church" by numbers rather than intimacy with Jesus.
I baptized three people yesterday afternoon. Three members of a family representing three generations. What drew them to Jesus? The very thing He said would attract people - "They will know that you are my disciples if you love one another." The great-grand mother of the youngest (so it's four generations now), was baptized just a few months ago, and she couldn't stop talking about Her Lord, and her church family. That's what Paul was talking about in 1 Corinthians 9 ("I become all things to all people that I might by any means save some.") and in Romans 9 ("my heart's desire"). The institution can never provide that kind of passion. It can only come from people who are overwhelmed by his love and his grace.

4 comments:

David Judd said...

One of the best, and most challenging, sermons I've ever heard. I've always been a "program" guy - get it organized, put someone in charge, give your money if you don't want to work in it, and watch it happen. I've never heard it said, certainly never from a pulpit, "programs don't work." That just totally changes my concepts and thinking on church. Thanks for the challenging thoughts - I'm still mulling them over.

Deborah said...

I have no doubt that you got your "passion" across, whether you could hear it in your voice or not. Your brothers and sisters at FCC are fully aware of what you are passionate about--and so are we!

Anonymous said...

I thank God for you, Mike. Your passion for God's Word has been evident for as long as I have known you. I also thank you for posting those observations and truths for many to read. I love you.
Your mother-in-law

Anonymous said...

Thank you Mike for saying so wonderfully what Ed and I have been trying to get across to FXCC. Outreach, Outreach is all we hear. We keep saying What about Inreach??? You wrote our thoughts so eloquently.