Friday, January 09, 2009

Another Trip, Another Family Reunion

There's a clear theme that runs through the last several blogs, but that's the nature of things when there has been two deaths in the family within ten days of each other. In the previous blogs it was about the Root/Curtis side of the family. This one is about the Root/Root side of the family. Even though it was a sad occasion, it was made enjoyable because of getting to see family we haven't seen in a long time. In the above picture in the front row, is my sister Becky and one of her sons Tim. in the back, from L to R, is my brother Larry, Becky's daughter Kathy and her other two sons Tom and John. I was only ten when John was born, so they are all married with beautiful children and a long way from being Becky's kids like I always remember them. I hadn't seen most of them, including my older brother Larry, since I did Tom's wedding many years ago (I'd guess 7 to 9 years ago) when we first got to Nashville. When we worked in Fairfax, VA from 1977 - 1990, we lived just a few miles from Becky. Since then, we've only seen her when she has come out for our musical each June. So we are already looking forward to seeing her the first week of June for this year's Bible Action Musical - Transformers: Saul to Paul.
It was a hard two day trip to WV and back, but we are so glad that we got to spend a little time with Becky and her family and my brother Larry. Mark left this world loved and missed by all his family. The three plus years of being mentally gone and physically bedridden didn't diminish their love for their dad and her husband. I'm more amazed at the care and commitment that Becky gave to Mark in those years than anything else. All agreed, that even in the toughest of times, there was plenty to be thankful for. I'm thankful for getting to see them all again, even if it was a short visit.

No comments: