Wednesday, January 21, 2009

An Amazing Day

I didn't expect to be as moved as I was by yesterday's inauguration of our new president, Barack Obama. As a born and raised Washingtonian and a lover of history, I thought it was an incredible day. I knew a couple years ago, and have said many times, that our country's next president would have to be someone with charisma, personality, and be very articulate. I really did suspect, long ago, that it would be Obama. I like him. I don't agree with all of his policies, but I like him, and I will pray for him and his family as long as he is my president. The picture of a couple million Americans standing for hours, in the cold, just hoping to get a distant glimpse of the new president, was moving and exciting to me. I'm just glad to see so many Americans so excited about anything this country does! I'm excited about having a young, sharp, and intelligent man in the office. It's the first time that I've been older than the president. Ouch! I'm excited that he brings hope to so many. I'm thrilled at the prospect of SOME level of unity in our divided country - something beyond partisan politics. I'm encouraged by the prospects of so many young people having a role model that's not a sports hero or some famous actor. I'm thrilled at the prospects of having a good, strong family image with family values being taught and shown worldwide. And yes, I'm proud that I live in a country that can change from racist, hateful, segregation, to electing the best person for the highest office REGARDLESS of his race. That brings hope even if he can't correct all the economic ills of our country in his first hundred days - which he won't. It's time for those people living in fear and hatred to realize that they are the true minority now.
May God bless him and keep him safe.

No comments: