Friday, August 08, 2008

A Dad Joke and more

Forget the personal stuff, the deep theology, and the religious ranting. It's time for what my kids call "a Dad joke." It's not original, but I don't know who came up with it - so now it's mine.

A skeptical anthropologist was cataloging South American folk remedies with the assistance of a tribal medicine man who indicated that the leaves of a particular fern were a sure cure for any case of constipation. When the anthropologist expressed his doubts, the medicine man looked him in the eye and said, "Let me tell you, with fronds like these, who need enemas?"

I love puns! They are an integral part of my life, my teaching, preaching, and all levels of communicating. Did you ever realize that puns mean nothing to the hearing impaired? When I use a pun in a lesson that Donna is interpreting for the hearing impaired, she has to explain it and why it's funny. Without hearing the play on sounds - it totally loses it's effect.

I wonder how much we are spiritually hearing impaired? How can two people read the same Bible and get two completely different mental pictures of God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. Back to the joke! Can you see Jesus laughing at that joke or is your view of Jesus seeing Him scowling and looking like He's had a permanent botox treatment on His face? Do you see a loving and kind Father or a harsh and angry God? Does the Holy Spirit scare you and make you want to lock him in a book, or does he excite you with what he does in your life that you CAN'T know about? Is humor a work of Satan or a gift from God? Are you looking forward to laughing in heaven or to pun-ishment? Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Even the hearing impaired will hear the last trumpet. Father, help us to hear what you are saying to us long before your instrumental music calls us to attention.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Dad jokes are always my favorite, whether they are original or not.