Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Sometimes, Bigger is Bigger

I've mentioned several times that I'm troubled by how we've "bought in" to the cultural definition of church growth. I truly wonder what Jesus would say about our slick "Protestant Mass" that we've developed through the centuries and have used to define ourselves, promote our perspective, and emphasize the external? Yes, we have a religion of the assembly. Assemblies require facilities and the bigger the facility the bigger the assembly - and presto! We have a "successful mega-church" and we can glory in our accomplishment. No new souls have been saved, but the smaller, less innovative congregations in town have had their membership sucked away from them and we are now "experts in church growth," ready to hold worshops.
That's way-more sarcastic and negative than I really feel. I say it to ask myself "So what?" Do I really know what I'm doing? Do I have a clear sense of purpose or am I simply comfy as "a man of the cloth?" I keep seeing the Good Shepherd going after that one who wandered away and letting the ninety-nine stay put and graze awhile. I wonder if Jesus wouldn't define church growth as "one sheep being brought back"- one reason to make angels rejoice.
How do I know if I'm doing my job? Do I check the pew counting on the back of the church bulletin before I declare it "a good week?" No, I have three goals. I've mentioned them before. Am I guiding and encouraging everyone to SEEK a deeper relationship with God and Jesus? If not, we're just playing church. Am I challenging everyone to SERVE Him and learn to give, love, and obey? If not, we're just doing house-keeping. Am I helping everyone SENSE His presence, to know that He's there wherever they are and He's real? If not, there is no growing - no matter what the attendance chart declares. And if it's only one person who seeks, serves, and senses His abiding presence - well, that's a mega church to God.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Whew. This could not have come at more relevent time for us. Thanks for your "realness," Dad.