Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Growing God's Fruit

I try not to re-preach my Sunday morning lesson on my blog the week after I share it with my church family, but last week I offered some suggestions for deepening our relationship with God in the coming year. Of course, it is only useful if having a deeper relationship with God is something we really want. That is why I specifically pointed out that these are not about New Year's Resolutions but all about New Year honesty.

Every growing relationship will only continue to grow if it includes increased communication, thoughtfulness, and acts of devotion. The same is true for our relationship with God. So, here are my suggestions:

1. Communication = prayer (talking w/ God) Phil.4:4-7

Suggestion: Begin each day with a prayer that includes:

a. Thank you for today

b. Give me people to talk to (so I can be Your witness)

c. Help me to glorify you today

2. Thoughtfulness = Study & Equipping 1 Peter 3:15-16

Suggestion: Read the New Testament three times this year

a. Average person can read it in 14 hours

b. 3 times 14 = 42 hours x 60 min. = 2520 divided by 365

c. Just under 7 minutes a day listening to God

3. Acts of Devotion = Service in God's Name Gal.6:2 & 10

a. Help a ministry of this church family

b. Help w/ the special Service Day

c. Help someone else grow

If we are honestly seeking a closer walk with God, can we enter another new year with no plans to "grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ"?

No comments: