Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Under Construction




These pictures are of my latest project, which I just started yesterday, finishing our basement. It should be obvious which ones are the before and after pictures. I'm framing it now and then I'll run the electrical stuff, sheet rock the walls, put in a suspended ceiling, and then carpet the whole thing. Presto! A new living area. Well, presto isn't the right word because it's going to take a couple months to do the construction, especially since it's a pay-as-you-go project and I don't have loads of time to work on it. Turkey season is coming up next month too!


Under construction? That's my basement and the story of my life. God is so patient with me. Sometimes I look at the same passage of scripture a thousand times before it hits me. I got punched again this morning as I read First Corinthians. Why have I ignored Paul's simple warning in chapter 8 and verse 1? "Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up." Wow! Have you ever stopped to think about how much of our "church life" is centered around knowledge? Why you HAVE to have Bible class! Why wast time visiting, drinking coffee and sharing doughnuts? Just hint that fellowship (i.e. learning to love one another) might possibly be more spiritually productive than a 45 minute lecture and you might get stoned by the faithful. How did we get so far from building love that we have to convince people that it's important? The answer is simple - our emphasis on knowledge - the very thing that "puffs up"! What declares to the world that we are disciples of Jesus? What is the fulfilment of that law and the prophets? What is the one thing that gives meaning to all other spiritual activities (chapt.13)? It's not knowledge! So why do we keep defining, directing, and driving the church with an educational paradigm? Maybe we like churches that are puffed up. That would explain why we avoid what builds up. Just thinking, and just thankful for another God-punch!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I needed that. I knew an old wonderful Christian woman who would say,' I'll see you at church if God doesn't send me something more important to do." People would look at her like she was crazy..but this loving woman was busy-taking care of and loving others. Oh, she prayed and she studied, but she really loved. She was so humble and so kind. She's been with God for 10 years and still influences me. SH