Thursday, March 15, 2007

From Blasphemy to Heresy


If there is a subject in the church that is a larger sacred cow than our worship traditions it would have to be outreach. How could anyone dare question our views on outreach? It's heresy, it's satanic, and it's, it's, - well it's un-Christian! That's why I thought I'd give it a shot. You see, in my journey to understand God's will in my life- as I draw closer to him and know him better, I'm finding it harder to accept man made guilt. Two areas of never ending guilt for all Christians is prayer (see previous post: Prayer Giants) and evangelism. Why? Because you can always do more - and you should! Right? And how is that not a legalistic salvation by works?


Here's my question: If the Great Commission is so great, why isn't repeated by a single writer of the New Testament after the founding of the church? I told you it was heresy! Oh, I know all the places where it's taught in principle, mostly it's Paul talking about why he did mission work, but come on - it's THE GREAT COMMISSION - as we've been taught, it's the most important command in the Bible and the easiest thing to make everyone feel guilty about! No matter how many classes you've taught, sermons you've preached, and Bible studies with non-Christians you have - you still haven't gone unto all the world to preach the gospel! It's never repeated, quoted, or slightly referred to in all of the letters of encouragement, correction, and guidance from Paul, John, Peter, James, etc. Why, in Jesus' only description of Judgment, in Matthew 25, did he not include outreach? He only talked about compassion for the hurting and needy. Why did Paul say that only "some" were called to be evangelist, pastors, and teachers (Eph.4:11). Isn't everyone a missionary - if the great commission is for all?


I don't think it was ever meant to be for everyone. Okay, get out the smelling sauce. Jesus was sending his apostles on a mission trip that they didn't even understand until persecution kicked them out of the city (Acts 1:8 and 8:1). Are we supposed to "baptize" and "make disciples"? Absolutely! But everyone wasn't given the talents or intended by God to teach, evangelize, and speak to large groups. Everyone can and must be a light. Everyone can and must be a witness - tell their story - when the opportunity presents itself. Pray for opportunities. Create opportunities. Then don't wimp-out when he gives them to you. I think Peter said it best, and he wasn't talking about everyone being a missionary or knocking on doors and making cold contacts. He said, "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have." (1 Pet.3:15) That sounds awfully passive to me. Wait for someone to ask? Look for the opportunities he gives you and quit feeling guilty about not being a missionary or hating to have doors slammed in your face. Why isn't "The world will know that you are my disciples if you love one another" a Great Commission? Without it, the original one is meaningless and unappealing to the lost. It's also significant to remember that we can't give away what we don't have - and the message is still Jesus - right?


Enough heresy for one day.

4 comments:

Deborah said...

I've read this blog three times now and want to comment on it so badly, but I don't have anything to add to what you said or any profound questions to ask. SO, where does that leave me?...

There, I made a comment.

Brian Nicklaus said...

while "Great Commission" is not a phrase in the Bible

Greatest Commandment is...why don't we talk about that as much as the other..

good thoughts, thanks

Elizabeth said...

Ha...I think I could have made the same comment as Deborah! I've also read this three times. Everytime I read it, something different jumps out at me. The main one this time....GUILT! I feel certain we cannot exude God's light when we are floating in guilt. If we constantly feel guilty for not doing enough, then we must believe that there is a point of "doing enough", right?! We can never and will never do enough. It's not about us, but Christ in us....when will that sink in? (I'm talking to myself here!)

Anonymous said...

Thanks! not only for this but for always having the courage to simply be a minister who shares the WORD not tradition. A humble, wise minister once said something like this: If the law led to death and Jesus came to nail it to the cross and we turn the new covenant into a series of laws--will it not lead to death.
I am truly convinced if we just love like Jesus because of Jesus, the message will be there and it will all fall into place.