Tuesday, October 03, 2006

From Where I'm Sitting...


I had to stop my work on this Sunday's sermon for a few minutes. Partly because I'm hitting the 3 - o'clock-in-the-afternoon-wall that makes me want to take a nap, and partly because that same wall reminds me that just a few years ago, that wall didn't exist. You see, I'm working on a lesson about how our perceptions are often colored by where we are when we see things. I'm going to ask the question, "Where are you sitting spiritually?" I don't want you to suffer through a preview of that lesson, but I have been struck by the profound fact that we are constantly changing seats. If we're not, we're not growing. It's going to be fun to apply that to our church life in this Sunday's lesson. The truth of that fact, however, came home to me earlier today as I found myself saying at our staff lunch, "I can't believe it's the second week of bow season (for deer) and I haven't been out hunting yet!" I love bowhunting, but you know what? It just doesn't drive me like it used to. I still want to do it and, Lord willing, I should be out in the woods soon, but it just doesn't push my buttons like it use to. Watching God's creation come alive with the sunrise, silently observing wildlife that has no idea I'm watching, and just spending quiet time in a tree stand thinking, reflecting, and praying - I love it and hope God lets me do it for many more years. Still, as the years ooze by and the hair-line races back, my passion is for people. I truly love being with my church family. I live for Sunday. I get excited just thinking about seeing brothers and sisters hugging, laughing, and praising God together. I love my partners in the Gospel, my fellow ministers, shepherds, and workers who make going to work seem more like going to Thanksgiving every day! I love having the most amazing daughter of God I've ever known as my co-worker, friend, and wife of nearly thirty-four years. I love thinking about our children and their incredible spouses and thanking God for their faith, their ministries for Him, and their spiritual maturity. I don't even have to sit in a tree stand to reflect on four precious little grand children who make my heart ache to be so far away from them, but who fill me with joy as I think about their sweet faces and beautify spirits and about them growing up in the Lord. No, I'm not going to quit hunting with my bow for those illusive whitetail deer, but I just don't have to "get away" to remember how wonderful God has been to me. I kinda like my new seat. It's got a great view.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have told Elizabeth before that your comments on her blog have made me cry. Well, you did it again today!!!
I am always moved to tears when I hear the passion people have for those God has put in their life.
Thank you for sharing your heart on this matter.
Praise God for HIS FAMILY He has blessed us with!

Anonymous said...

I ditto what Maryann said--I have tears and a tight throat too, especially at the mention of your "aching" to be near your grandkids. I sometimes forget that it goes both ways. Thank you for having so many wonderful positive things to say about the body of Christ. I feel myself getting cynical at times when I'm around people who only want to argue, complain, "roll their eyes" at the church. I praise God for His church and for the body that we get to be a part of. His grace continues to amaze me every day.

Elizabeth said...

I love this, Dad. I've read it over and over. Everytime, something different jumps out at me. I am thankful that I have a Dad who loves and is thankful for the people God has put in his life. You have given me a passion for people and a great desire to be thankful always for God's gift of relationships.