Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Holy Hesitancy?

I used an illustration Sunday about the days when I was Police Chaplain I could walk into anything and go anywhere when I had my "official" Police badge or pocket insert out, and I looked like I knew what I was doing. I walked through Police stations, including Head Quarters, into Emergency Rooms and through almost any "Restricted" or closed off room or area. Part of it was that even the official people didn't want to take a chance on challenging someone who looked confident and who could possibly "out rank" them. I could tell you lots of stories about things I did and places I went into that, prior to being a Police Chaplain, would have never crossed my mind to do or go. Experience and confidence, along with a badge, were a big part of it.

Probably the most challenging part of grasping and truly identifying with the passage in Hebrews 4:14-16 about Jesus being our great High Priest is that marvelous sentence in verse 16: "Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence." I am humbled by the opportunity to approach God, and I am overwhelmed by His love that calls His throne a "throne of grace," but coming before it and Him with confidence? Whoa!

Now go back to my illustration about my access to things as a Police Chaplain. Confidence didn't happen the day they handed me a Police badge. It developed over time as I learned what I could do, that it was expected, and that it was necessary to doing my job. That was especially true when it came to the people who worked in the hospital emergency rooms I had total access to. They trusted me because they saw what I did, and over time, they called me to come help them. At the same time, as my experience and confidence grew, I stopped hesitating, wondering, and doubting - I just did it! Confidence - the kind the Holy Spirit it talking about - isn't about pride, arrogance, and showiness. It's - from experience - boldly and fearlessly knowing you can trust God's love, and trust how passionately He waits for us to approach his throne of grace - any time and for any reason - when we need mercy and grace to help in time of need.

No comments: