Thursday, December 25, 2008

A New Face In Heaven

This picture was taken back in the Summer at the Curtis family reunion. Dean was able to joke about his cemo treatment by saying that he hadn't had to shave in six weeks - because of losing all his hair. Dean took his last breath in this life this morning and took his next breath looking at the face of God. I have said many times over the last thirty-six years that I had the best in-laws a person could hope for. Dean probably is one of the biggest reasons I'm such an avid hunter today. I really began my serious hunting by tagging alone with him and Randy on many rabbit hunting trips, back when Dean had 10 or 12 beagles to chase them around for us. It took me a long time to get the hang of how to know where the rabbits would be in relation to the dogs who were chasing them. He loved to hunt and he especially loved helping others have a good hunting experience. Those early years of hunting will always be special memories for me.
Dean was one of the most humble and godly men I have ever known. He was the consummate quiet servant, helping hundreds of people in hundreds of ways and mostly without anyone else ever knowing about it. He loved simplicity, hard work, his family, and his church family. He was a man of integrity. I know there were plenty of times when he and Gleneve wondered what in the world their first son-in-law was doing, but they would choke to death before they ever did anything to criticise or be negative to any of us. Their example of love, sacrifice, service, and hospitality are unmatched by anyone I've ever known. I am thankful for every memory I have of time we spent together and for the godly daughter he raised who has made such a difference in my life. I am truly looking forward to seeing him again - and I will. I just hope there's rabbit hunting in heaven.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike and Donna-
Know that Curt and I will have both of you in our hearts and prayers. God bless and we love you.
Curt and Inez

Elizabeth said...

Sweet words about Papaw, Dad. He definitely had a life to celebrate! See you soon.

Anonymous said...

Donna and Mike, we will continue to keep your entire family in our prayers. Love Byron, Renita, Byron II & Stephen Lewis